Monday, May 7, 2012

Day 6

So basically I think I have been given the responsibility of "senior blogger", as Dr. Ross is sound asleep right now and I am still awake getting things ready for the day tomorrow.  Today was another great day!  The drive along the Florida coast is awesome!  This morning Dr. Ross asked me to get the tire on his bike checked because the pressure wasn't right.  So he went ahead and left on his other bike and I went to the bike shop to see what the problem was, knowing I would have to catch up to him later and find him somewhere down the road.  Come to find out, there was a very tiny piece of glass stuck in the tire, which was slowly seeping air out. The guy at the bike shop said we are lucky we caught it early because it could've gotten worse over time and gone flat while he was riding which could be dangerous.  So I left the bike shop and went on my merry way to find him.  I drove for a about an hour or so and then received a call from Dr. Ross telling me that he went 8 miles down the wrong road.  Ok, so going the wrong direction 8 miles like in a car is pretty annoying, but going 8 miles out of the way on a bike??? not very fun...Luckily he was at least going in a southern direction.  So I went and found him (which was in the middle of nowhere by the way) and put him back where he needed to be. In all, he rode a total of 120 miles today.  Oh and did I mention.....3 hours of riding were in a rainstorm.  That man is crazy!! He refused to stop riding. One cool thing that happened later that day is I was riding along the road when I saw a nice scenic area of the beach so I got out to take pictures.  So I'm focusing in on the ocean and the sky taking pictures, and in the lens I see something pop up out of the water....It was a pod of about 8 to 10 dolphins!  I thought it was pretty crazy that I picked that little section of beach and by accident ran into some dolphins, so hopefully those pictures turned out good.  Also, there are a lot of huge beautiful homes along the coast so I decided to pull over and snap a picture of one. I decide pull over and at this house there is a lady outside pulling weeds or something in the front yard.  I roll the window down and get the camera ready out the window, and this lady starts yelling at me not to take any pictures of her house.  But....I had already snapped like 4 so I said "OK" :)  and then pulled away with 4 amazing pictures of the house..haha..you can check out the picture gallery on the website and find a picture with the lady getting ready to come yell at me.  At about 4 pm we went to the B&G club in Mims, FL.   This was such an amazing club to go visit.  We were in the projects of this particular city, but were surrounded by a beautiful group of boys and girls.  I know that Dr. Ross and I both felt very connected to this group, as they listened intently to his words about the fact that they can do anything and be anything that they want to be as long as they study hard and work hard.  This was a group of less fortunate children and I was grateful to be able to spend the time with them that we did.  This was really a great reminder of the purpose we are doing this trip.  If we can touch or change the life of just one individual, all of the hard work will be well worth it.  I know that this is definitely how Dr. Ross feels.  For dinner we met with Dr. Ross' cousin Bonnie and her family who live in the Cocoa Beach area.  It was great to meet them and talk with them.  Cocoa Beach is where we are stopped at for the night.  Well, off to bed.  Talk to guys tomorrow!
Cody

2 comments:

  1. Cody, You should have hit her up for a donation!
    I love reading about your adventures & misadventures. You both are doing a GREAT job! DR keep on pedaling....it's just within sight!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! This jouney just get more awesome each day. Easy for me to say - I'm just sitting here reading about it!:) Even cooler is that the Boys & Girls Clubs benefit as well.
    Is 55:12 For you shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.

    ReplyDelete