Tuesday, May 8, 2012

crazy day

Cody here.....There is so much to talk about that I really don't know where to start.  I will try my best to condense this as best as I can.  I'll just start from the morning.  This morning we got up at 5:00 and head out so Dr. Ross could begin his ride at about 5:45.  I came back to our hotel afterwards to gather our stuff, get ready for the day, and eat breakfast.  I usually try to post on the blog or upload pictures as well, but right as I was getting out of the shower my cell phone rang (about 7:15 AM) and it was Dr. Ross.  He was stranded on the side of the road with yet another flat tire.  I told him to hold tight for a couple of hours and that I needed to go get some sun at the beach, no big deal...Im just kidding...so I got everything together as fast as I could and met up with him.  I then switched out his bike and then went to go look for a bike shop to fix the tire.  I got it fixed and then caught up with Dr. Ross again. There was a hole straight through the bad tire... Later that day I found a really cool bridge with a great view of the ocean, and so I went down to the side of the bridge to get a good side view photo of Dr. Ross going over the bridge.  It was the making of a professional discovery channel photography moment for me.  So i went down to a pull off near the water on the side view of the bridge, which was pretty far from it, and waited for him to finally cross the bridge.  I then saw his bright yellow shirt going across the bridge on his bike.   So i got the camera ready to shoot and shot some of the most amazing pictures of the trip.  Once he crossed the bridge, I ran to the car and drove as fast as I could to show him these incredible pictures......Only to drive up to a blonde woman in the exact some colored outfit as Dr. Ross...Ahhhhhhh! So I drove back to the bridge and there was Dr. Ross already over the bridge on his way down.  Unbelievable!!  I was so mad at myself at the time, but it is now pretty funny when I think back.  Sometime in the afternoon Dr. Ross and I met up as we usually do every 10-20 miles or so and he said that he was hot and was going to jump in the water.  So thats what he did.  He took off his shirt, walked onto the beach, and jumped into the water. We finally arrived to the B&G club in Palm Beach at around 4:30.  This was a very big club, as we had about 220 kids there to hear Dr. Ross speak to them.   The director's name is Carl Bolden.  He is such a nice man.  And get this, for those of you that follow football, he is the father of Baltimore Ravens wide receiver Anquan Bolden.  Carl himself also played in the NFL as well.  After talking with Carl for a while, Carl said "hey, hang on a second let me get Anquan on the phone and you can say hi to him really quick"  So he called him, put him on speaker, and then Dr. Ross talked to Anquan Bolden on the phone about his trip.  He told Dr. Ross how awesome it was that he was doing this for the B&G club and commended him for doing it.  On top of that, he promised to send either an autographed jersey and picture because of our efforts.  Then Carl Bolden went on to tell us that Devin Hester of the Chicago Bears, probably the fastest player in the NFL, grew up right next to the B&G club and that he coached Devin Hester from his childhood on up in multiple sports.  He then called Devin Hester and told him what we were doing and then Dr. Ross talked to him on the phone for a while.  He too said he wanted to send him an autograph and expressed his gratitude for what we were doing.  Dr. Ross then proceeded to challenge Devin Hester to a 50 yard dash in the parking lot, in which Devin Harris just laughed at him.  What a great opportunity it was to be able to get the word out to multiple people that are well known and have many avenues in which they can help Dr. Ross in getting more people on board with "Riding 4 a Reason".   Anyways, that was soo cool.  One minute we were on the road driving a car and riding a bike and then another minute we are on speaker phone with anquan bolden and devin hester.  pretty crazy!  There was so much more that happened but not enough time to type it all.  Either way, it was a great day and a great opportunity to meet new people and to meet so many wonderful kids that have so much promise.  Well, it is now time to go to bed.  We will be in touch!
Cody

No comments:

Post a Comment